Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Share This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2009

Goodwill clearance center? Isn't that like a double negative?


Hello everyone!

So this photo you see here is one I took with my cell phone standing outside the building. As you can see it is a "Goodwill clearance center." What on earth? Have any of you ever seen one of these? In all my years hunting, I have not.

I was in Bakersfield last weekend and my nephew (he's in his 30's and also sells on eBay) told me about it. When I arrived I was quite confused. "Hm? What will my plan of attack be? I've never entered one of these before. I don't know what to expect?" You can imagine I was quite excited...........until I learned they were closing in 15minutes! But that's okay, I can do a lot of damage in 15 minutes!

So I enter and it turns out everything is by the pound! There are huge bins everywhere categorized by shoes, clothing, housewares, books, etc. You dig dig dig , put your goods on the scale and there ya go! What a cool concept.

However, it was VERY messy as you can imagine. No shoes were paired. The clothing was thrown everywhere. I was afraid to break dishes as they were stacked on top of each other. So, not quite as heart pumping as my usual GW runs.

I don't think this is one that I will bother trying to frequent. For one, it is 3 hours away from my home. And two, well..........I like my stores a "little" organized. I mean, yes I'm hunting but I do have a system where I scan items as I walk. If you like to dig (which normally I do) than this is for you.

Was sort of strange not to be as enthused as I normally am about thrift stores. However, we quickly moved onto another one where we scored big time!

I will be posting some of my finds soon.

Until next time friends!

5 comments:

  1. I've been told there is a Goodwill Clearance near me, but given your description, I doubt I will bother searching it out. I did go to one of my regular Goodwill stores this morning and cleaned up. And stopped at our new Goodwill Boutique. That place is a hoot. "The best of the best of the donations" is what they offer, and while they have some nice things, most of it must be made of 24K gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Linda. Wow, what did you find in your treasure hunt? I too wonder about those darn prices in "Keepers", the upper scale thrift store of Goodwill. I've bought a few things there but it's usually a designer item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Bakersfield and I love many of the Goodwill Clearance centers, but NOT the 2 we have here ... figures, huh? Do you remember which one you went to? There's one at the corner of Union Ave & Espee, which is the nicer one, and there's a really yucky one on Stine or New Stine.

    In many parts of the country, Goodwill Outlets are referred to as "the bins." With the exception of the two in Bakersfield, I have loved every moment I've spend at the bins, all over the U.S. I take a 2 week shopping trip to Washington and Oregon each summer, and I try to go to the bins every day during the week I'm in the Portland area. I wrote a long post about The Bins on The Queen's Court site recently, but you have to be a member to access the site. And I actually found *your* site tonight due to a comment another member posted there about you this afternoon.

    I sell on eBay, too, and have a major TS addiction. One of the best parts is that I travel a lot and thrift along the way, so I can write off my trips. Would love to chat a bit with you privately. My blog is out of date, so the easiest way to find me is through my eBay store ... all of my listings have an email button at the bottom, to send email outside the eBay messages system. I'm looking forward to exploring your blog and sharing some favorite shopping sites, once I find out where you are in CA.

    Victoria
    auction-girl-vintage
    http://stores.ebay.com/auction-girl-vintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey there Victoria! What a small thrift store we live in don't we? Yes the one I went to was on Union. I'm sure you just have to be in the mood for those places. I can't say I'll never go in one again (I mean who am I kidding?) I'm going to check out your items and get in contact with you. I love that we can connect through this passion of ours. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. In many parts of the country, Goodwill Outlets are referred to as "the bins." With the exception of the two in Bakersfield, I have loved every moment I've spend at the bins, all over the U.S. I take a 2 week shopping trip to Washington and Oregon each summer, and I try to go to the bins every day during the week I'm in the Portland area. I wrote a long post about The Bins on The Queen's Court site recently, but you have to be a member to access the site. And I actually found *your* site tonight due to a comment another member posted there about you this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

Followers